Thursday, January 21, 2010

Auburndale Pow Wow for the Buffalo 2010

This year's Auburndale pow wow ran through 2 weekends.  The first of which was the coldest week Florida has seen since the 70's.  It was just plain frigid, we had sleet and snow on Saturday, but we kept the pow wow on.  People did actually come out and visit, they had the drum and dancers inside the Big Top tent the first weekend and only about 8 of us Hardy Vendors stayed open through the cold.  The second weekend was Beautiful and we pow wow'd as Normal.  Ken was working the pow wow, so I managed to get some pictures, but not a lot.  I also got some video of the Hawaiians doing their dances.  You can see the videos on my you tube here: http://www.youtube.com/Spiderwrulf

Auburndale 2010 001

Guess who won a Powwows.com Shirt!! Hee hee, I got 8th place in the Scavenger Hunt.  Yikes, I know I have gained so much weight since I quit smoking (**Going on 3 years April 13**)  I am really not liking pictures of myself lately, but I thought it only fair since:

Auburndale10038

Gene doesn't like pictures of himself either and I knew I would post this pic   I think this is a Really Good pic of him, What do y'all think? 

Auburndale10054

The Aztec Dancers were there as well, I just love these native Peoples!!  There was some controversy about the Hawaiians and the Aztecs, some said that they are Not Native Americans and shouldn't be at the pow wow.  Well, categorizing them as Americans may be questionable, However they are Indigenous People (Native People) of their land, and therefore I feel they should be welcomed at the pow wows.  And while I am offering my opinion on such things, I might add that Some NDN's think they are the Only NDN's, and refuse to acknowledge any other tribes and ways.  I have no respect for people that think this way, cuz that is Not the NDN way.  That being said, on to sweeter words.

aintskeerd

Of course there was much time spent with the Buffalo, which I think is the Best part of this pow wow.  I missed a chance to get a picture of Little Bear nose to nose with a Buffalo through the fence because I was in such awe when it happened! 

Auburndale 2010 008a

And in closing, it turned out to be a wonderful pow wow, as always.  We make of each situation what it is.   On January 15th, 2009 my "twin" crossed over and I never got to re-connect with her.  I have been wrestling with my emotions on this since I learned of it.  This weekend I danced in the circle for her and her family and children that she left behind, she was an EMT and as we honor Veterans of War, so should we remember the warriors at home that protect us; the Firemen, EMT, and Police. 

angel

The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honor is humility. ~Proverbs 15:33

2 comments:

  1. If Aztec are not native Americans then how do you clasify a native American ? They are just as much of the Americas as any other Tribe. Just not of the USA Tribes , but still of the North Americas!!

    ReplyDelete